Companies and Captains #
Company Construction #
Each side’s army, known as their Company, consists of two or more Groups with different abilities and weaknesses. Each Group comprises some number of models.
Each side must:
- Field 2–8 Groups of 1–12 points each, noting their profile to your opponents—the number of models in a Group doesn’t matter.
- Spend no more than 24 points total for a standard game.
Company Scale #
Players may agree to scale their Company points up or down from 24 (increments of 6 work well). Both sides should use the same number of points to construct their Companies. Consider using smaller tables for smaller Company sizes, and larger tables for larger Companies. The distances listed in these rules assume 28mm models, so you may want to modify the distance increments if using larger or smaller models.
Fighting Strength #
A Group’s ability to fight is defined by their current Fighting Strength (FS). FS starts at 6 or 12.
The current FS of a Group is open information.
Losing FS represents a combination of shock, fatigue, injury, and death in a Group, and reduces the Group’s ability to engage in the skirmish. While reduced to half or less of their initial FS, a Group is Bloodied—they roll half as many dice to hit, and are more vulnerable to psychological status effects. When reduced to 0 FS, a Group is Routed and can no longer participate in the skirmish: they are broken, captured, or slaughtered.
A useful way to express the loss of FS on the table is to remove models from a Group. For example, assuming a Group with 12 FS:
- If the Group consists of 1 model, leave it on the table until their FS is reduced to 0 (or the Group Routs).
- If the Group consists of 2 models, remove one model when their FS drops to 6 or less.
- If the Group consists of 3 models, remove one model each time the Group loses 4 FS (i.e., once at 8 FS, and again at 4 FS).
- If the Group consists of 6 models, remove one model each time the Group loses 2 FS.
- If the Group consists of 12 models, remove one model each time the Group loses 1 FS.
- If the Group consists of 24 models, remove two models each time the Group loses 1 FS.
🛠 It is best to ensure your model count divides evenly into the FS of the group, but you can have any number you please. Just remember to update each Group’s FS on their profile as it changes.
Designate one model in each Company as the Captain. This model is part of a Group—the Captain may not join any other Groups, does not increase the FS of the Group they are in, and costs no additional points. Friendly Groups within 12” of the Captain’s Group have +1 when testing Resolve, unless the Captain’s Group is Shaken.
Captains start with one trait (roll or pick one):
|3||Reprehensible||After deployment, whether or not the Captain is on the table, roll 1d6 for every Group except the Captain’s. On a 1, they desert—remove that Group from play.|
|4||Vapid||The Captain does not grant a bonus for Groups testing Resolve.|
|5||Blood-shy||The Captain’s Group may not be ordered to Attack.|
|6||Feeble||The Captain’s Group rolls one fewer die when Attacking or Shooting.|
|7||Wicked||When any Group within 12” of the Captain’s Group fails to Rally, they may lose 1 FS to pass instead.|
|8||Shrewd||You may add or subtract 1 from your roll when determining attacker and defender at the start of the game.|
|9||Resolute||The Captain and Captain’s Group are unaffected by fear effects.|
|10||Capable||Once each turn, the Captain’s Group may reroll one die when rolling to hit.|
|11||Compelling||Once each turn, one Group within 12” of the Captain may reroll a failed activation test.|
|12||Prodding||Once each turn, one Group within 12” of the Captain may automatically pass a Move activation test.|
|13||Aggressive||Once each turn, one Group within 12” of the Captain may automatically pass an Attack activation test.|
|14||Projectile||Once each turn, one Group within 12” of the Captain may automatically pass a Shooting activation test.|
|15||Dangerous||Once each turn, the Captain’s Group may reroll two dice when rolling to hit.|
|16||Calming||Once each turn, one Group within 12” of the Captain may ignore a compulsory activation as the result of the Reckless trait.|
|17||Abjured||The Captain’s Group cannot be targeted by enemies’ spells.|
|18||Incredible||Once each turn, the Captain’s Group may reroll three dice when rolling to hit.|
Group Profiles #
The Groups below are archetypes meant to fill particular roles—especially with further customization. They are not so specific as to be tied to any one concept beyond those roles. The archetypes include: Beast, Cavalry, Foot, Missile, and Engine types, with Elite, Heavy, and Light variants.
Basic Profiles #
- The name of the Group, its base cost in parentheses.
- Melee (ME)
- The minimum activation roll to Attack or Retreat, the minimum result to hit an enemy when attacking, the minimum result to hit when defending.
- Move (MO)
- The minimum activation roll to Move, the maximum distance they may Move if successful.
- Missile (MI)
- The minimum activation roll to Shoot, the minimum result to hit an enemy when Shooting, the maximum range when Shooting.
- Fighting Strength (FS)
- The initial strength of the Group.
- Resolve (R)
- The minimum result to pass when testing Resolve.
- Toughness (T)
- The number of simultaneous hits required to reduce the Group’s FS by 1.
- Any additional rules that apply to the Group.
|Heavy Beast (6)||5+ / 3+ / 6||6+ / 10"||-||6||3+||4||Reckless|
|Light Beast (4)||5+ / 4+ / 6||6+ / 12"||-||6||4+||3||Reckless, Nimble|
|Elite Cavalry (6)||5+ / 3+ / 5+||7+ / 10"||-||6||3+||4||Reckless, Defiant|
|Heavy Cavalry (4)||5+ / 4+ / 5+||5+ / 10"||-||6||4+||3||Defiant|
|Light Cavalry (4)||7+ / 5+ / 6||5+ / 12"||6+ / 5+ / 12"||6||5+||3||-|
|Elite Engine (6)||- / - / 5+||7+ / 4"||5+ / 4+ / 24"||6||4+||3||Ponderous|
|Heavy Engine (4)||- / - / 6||8+ / 2"||6+ / 5+ / 24"||6||5+||2||Ponderous|
|Light Engine (4)||- / - / 6||8+ / 4"||6+ / 5+ / 18"||6||5+||1||-|
|Elite Foot (5)||5+ / 3+ / 4+||5+ / 6"||-||12||3+||4||-|
|Heavy Foot (4)||6+ / 5+ / 4+||5+ / 6"||-||12||4+||3||Defensive|
|Light Foot (3)||6+ / 5+ / 4+||5+ / 8"||-||12||4+||2||Defensive|
Profile Traits #
- If this Group is not Shaken, in difficult terrain, or in cover, they may Move into a defensive formation with all models in base contact. They have +1 T until the start of their next activation.
- If this Group is not Shaken and not already in melee, when an enemy successfully activates to Attack them, they may test at 7+ to meet the enemy halfway. Count both Groups as attacking for to-hit rolls.
- If this Group is not Shaken and not already in melee, when an enemy successfully activates to Attack them, they may immediately test at 7+ to move up to half their Move distance and Shoot at that enemy.
- This Group treats difficult terrain as normal terrain instead.
- This Group treats difficult terrain as impassable terrain instead.
- If this Group is not Shaken, it must activate to Attack, if possible.
Special Traits #
When constructing a Company, you can apply any number of special traits to any qualifying Groups in the Company, on a case-by-case basis. The point cost of each trait is listed in parenthesis.
- Accurate (2)
- Groups with an MI profile only. Improve this Group’s MI to-hit value by 1.
- Apprentice (2)
- Before the first turn of the skirmish, choose three spells. This Group may activate to Cast one of those three spells.
- Caster (4)
- This Group may activate to Cast any spell.
- Chariot (2)
- Cavalry only. +1 T. Treats difficult terrain as impassable terrain.
- Composed (2)
- Groups with the Reckless trait only. Remove Reckless. Improve MO activation by one.
- Cowardly (-2)
- When testing Resolve, this Group must reroll the highest die.
- [Type]-Foe (1)
- Choose an enemy type. This Group gains the Reckless trait against those enemies. If this Group is already Reckless, they must activate to Attack those enemies, if possible. If the chosen enemy type is not in any enemy Company, ignore the point cost of this trait.
- [Type]bane (4)
- Choose an enemy type. This Group ignores the Terrifying trait for those enemies, and may reroll each to-hit die once each turn when fighting them. If the chosen enemy type is not in any opposing army, ignore the point cost of this trait.
- Move Freely (2)
- This Group ignores all friends, enemies, and terrain while Moving. Cannot end movement overlapping with other models.
- Offensive (2)
- Groups with the Defensive trait only. Remove Defensive. Improve ME to-hit by 1 when Attacking.
- Self-Destruct (2)
- This Group may attempt to activate on 5+ to self-destruct (as if Shooting everything within 6”, hitting on 3+). At the end of an activation in which they self-destruct, this Group is Routed.
- Shooters (2)
- Groups without an MI profile only. Add an MI profile at 6+ / 5+ / 18”.
- Short-Ranged (-1)
- Groups with an MI profile only. Reduce range by half.
- Stealthy (3)
- Enemies cannot Shoot this Group. This Group does not block line of sight, except for Groups in melee with them.
- Summoner (3)
- This Group may attempt to activate on 6+ to summon an undeployed Group within 12” (and no closer than 6” to an enemy). The summoned Group may attempt to activate this turn.
- Terrifying (2)
- While being Attacked by this Group, enemies must reroll their highest die when testing Resolve.
- Throwers (1)
- Groups without an MI profile only. Add an MI profile at 6+ / 5+ / 6”.
- Unerring (3)
- Once each turn, this Group may reroll any dice that miss when rolling to hit.
- Unfeeling (0)
- This Group automatically passes when testing Resolve. Round up hits inflicted against this Group.
- Vicious (3)
- When this Group rolls to hit, each 6 inflicts two hits instead.
- Well-Armed (1)
- Once each turn, this Group may reroll all 1s when rolling to hit.
|Prompt||6+||18”||Another Group||Until the start of your next turn.||Target may reroll when attempting to activate.|
|Embolden||6+||18”||Another Group||Until the start of your next turn.||Target may reroll when testing Resolve.|
|Heal||7+||18”||Another Group||-||Target gains 1 FS, up to their maximum.|
|Confuse||7+||18”||Another Group||Until the start of your next turn.||Treat target as Shaken.|
|Entangle||7+||18”||Another Group||Until the start of your next turn.||Target treats all terrain as difficult.|
|Obscure||7+||18”||Self, Another Group||Until the start of your next turn.||Target may not be Attacked or Shot at.|
|Projectile||7+||18”||Another Group||-||As Shoot. Hit on 4+ within 12”, or on 5+ at 12–18”.|
|Enrage||7+||18”||Another Group||Until the start of your next turn.||Target may reroll any number of to-hit dice once in melee.|
|Fortify||7+||18”||Another Group||Until the start of your next turn.||Target may force enemies to reroll any number of to-hit dice once against them.|
|Counter||8+||18”||Group||-||End any Spell effect on the target as if its duration ended.|
|Come and Die!||6+||-||This Group cannot Move or Retreat (-1 FS instead if they would be forced to do so). All enemy Groups have the Reckless trait against this Group.|
|We Are Unbreakable!||6+||-||This Group rolls 3d6 and keeps the highest two dice when testing Resolve. On failure, they immediately Rout instead.|
|We Leave No Friend Behind!||6+||Must be within 6" of friendly Group.||While within 6" of a friendly Group, this Group may reroll any dice. This Group loses 1d6 FS whenever a friendly Group within 6" Routs.|
|We Never Miss a Shot!||6+||Groups with an MI profile only.||When activating to Shoot, this Group must Shoot the farthest enemy Group in range (if any). This Group may reroll any misses when Shooting.|
|We’ll Never Taste Your Blades!||6+||-||When attacking, this Group has +1 T and +1 on to-hit rolls. Hits against this Group always count twice.|
|You’ll Die with Us!||6+||Must be Bloodied.||-1 T. When Attacked, this Group inflicts one hit against their attackers for each hit they take.|
|There Can Be Only One!||7+||-||Pick an enemy Group. This Group must activate to Attack or Move toward the chosen Group. When Attacking the chosen Group, this Group gains +1 T, and treats their MO as double its written value.|
|We’ll Fight in the Shade!||7+||-||This Group has +1 T when an enemy Shoots them. They have the Reckless trait against all enemy Groups with an MI profile.|
|You’ll Never Take Us Alive!||7+||-||This Group cannot Retreat (-1 FS instead if they would be forced to do so). They have +1 on to-hit rolls when Attacking or being Attacked.|
|For the Captain!||8+||Must be within 12" of Captain.||While within 12" of Captain, this Group rerolls all failed Activations. Otherwise, they reroll all successful activations and Resolve tests.|
|We’ll Run You Down!||8+||Groups with an MO of 8" or more only.||This Group gains the Reckless trait, +2" MO, and may only activate to Attack or Move.|
|Your Magic is Laughable!||8+||Groups with the Apprentice or Caster traits only.||When an enemy activates to Cast at them, this Group may force the enemy to reroll the activation. Any spell which still succeeds is twice as effective.|
During setup, players may secretly choose any number of different ambitions to fulfill during the skirmish. At the end of the skirmish, each fulfilled ambition is worth 1–3 VP, and each unfulfilled ambition is worth –1 VP. Optionally, players may reveal any of their chosen ambitions before the first turn of the skirmish, increasing their worth by 1 VP.
|We Will Not Break||3||No Group in this Company Routed.|
|Win Without Moving||3||Captain’s Group never moved or rolled any dice.|
|Do Not Waver||3||No more than one friendly Group was Shaken at the same time.|
|They Will Reel Before Us||3||Made 3+ enemy Groups become Shaken.|
|We Will Snap Their Spine||3||Routed the enemy Group with the highest point value on your first turn.|
|Give Better Than We Get||2||Routed more enemy Groups than Groups of your own were Routed.|
|Break Even Their Anvil||2||Routed the enemy Group with the highest point value.|
|Draw First Blood||1||A Group in this Company was first to reduce an enemy Group’s FS.|
|They Will Know My Name||1||Captain’s Group caused an enemy Group to become Shaken.|
|We Will All Shed Blood||1||Every Group in this Company engaged in melee at least once.|
|Rain Hell Upon Them||1||Made an enemy Group become Shaken during a Shoot activation.|
Skirmish Rules #
- Choose point total for each side (typically 24), and construct Companies.
- Roll or choose a location.
- Set up terrain.
- Roll or choose a scenario.
- Roll for Captain’s trait (or keep existing trait if using an established character).
- Players arrange themselves into two sides. Each side rolls 1d6 to determine which side will be attackers and which will be defenders: the higher result is the attacker. Reroll ties. Unless otherwise specified in the location or scenario, the attackers are the active side in the first turn.
- Deploy companies according to the location and scenario guidelines.
- Choose ambitions.
- The active side takes their turn.
- Round down unless otherwise noted.
- Measure Distance and Range between the closest models in each Group.
- Facing doesn’t matter.
- Remove Routed groups from play.
- Groups on the same side (attackers or defenders) are friendly. Groups on opposing sides are enemies.
- 1” of movement through Difficult terrain costs 2” of a model’s MO instead.
- If a model comes into base contact with an Obstacle, it stops its Move for this activation (maintaining Cohesion). If a model begins its Move in contact with an Obstacle, it ignores the Obstacle for the purposes of movement this activation. If a model is within 3” of an Obstacle, they are in Cover.
- Reroll any to-hit dice that hit against Groups on the opposite side of Cover.
- Groups cannot see things past Obscuring terrain, or more than 3” into it.
- Models cannot move through Impassable terrain.
The active side attempts to activate Groups until they fail an activation, or they choose to end their turn.
At the beginning of each turn:
- Rally Shaken Groups. All Shaken friendly Groups test Resolve to remove Shaken status. If unsuccessful, the Group loses 1 FS and Retreats—this does not end the turn. All friendly Shaken Groups must test to Rally at the beginning of each activation, but may do so in any order.
- Make checks for Reckless Groups. If any friendly Group with the Reckless trait is within their movement range of an enemy,they must attempt to Attack an enemy Group in range. If successful, they Attack as normal. Otherwise, they remain stationary, but this does not end the turn.
- Choose a Group to activate. You may not choose a group that checked for Reckless or attempted to Rally this turn. Each Group may activate only once each turn.
- Assign a valid order to the chosen Group (Move, Shoot, Attack, Proclaim, Retreat, or any available special orders like Cast or Summon).
- Roll 2d6, attempting to meet or exceed the Group’s minimum activation result for their given order. On a success, the Group performs the chosen order.
- If the Group failed their activation test, end your side’s turn and the next side’s turn begins. Otherwise, choose another friendly Group to activate, or choose to end your turn.
Move each model individually, up to their Group’s MO. Models may not move through other models unless otherwise stated.
At the end of a Move, all models in a Group must be within 3” of at least one other model in that Group, and must be at least 3” away from enemy Groups (unless in melee with them).
If the activating Group has a MI profile, they may choose to Shoot an enemy Group within range that they can see.
Roll 12d6 to hit, or 6d6 instead if Bloodied. Each die that shows a result equal to or higher than the Shooting Group’s MI value is a hit. For each number of hits equal to the target’s T, reduce their FS by 1. If the target Group lost at least 1 FS, they must test Resolve.
If the activating Group has a ME profile, they may choose to Attack a target within their MO distance that they can see.
If a Group is in melee at the start of their Activation, they may only attempt to activate to Attack or Retreat.
- Move as many models as possible into base contact with the defending Group.
- If the defending Group has the Defiant or Elusive traits, they may test to use that trait. If successful, resolve their interrupting action before proceeding. Otherwise, the Attack continues as normal.
- Both Groups try to hit each other. They each roll 12d6 to hit, or 6d6 if Bloodied. Each die that shows a result equal to or higher than the Group’s ME value for attacking or defending as appropriate is a hit. Shaken Groups only hit on a 6. For each number of hits equal to the enemy’s T, reduce the enemy’s FS by 1.
A Group may activate to Proclaim a taunt, potentially introducing a new special rule affecting them for the remainder of the skirmish. To Proclaim, the Group must activate with a roll that meets or exceeds the Check value of the specific Taunt they wish to Proclaim. On a successful activation, the Group gains the effects of the chosen Taunt for the remainder of the skirmish.
A Group may Proclaim any number of taunts during a skirmish.
A Group may activate to Retreat from melee, or they may be forced to Retreat when they fail a Resolve test.
When Retreating, the Group moves half their MO distance directly away from the cause of Retreat. They may not pass within 3” of any other enemy Groups.
If blocked by terrain or enemy Groups, roll 1d6. If the roll is lower than their current FS, they lose FS equal to the roll and stop moving.
If any member of a Group goes off of the table while Retreating, the entire Group Routs.
Special Orders Are Given #
If a Group has the Apprentice or Caster trait, they may choose to Cast any spell they have access to. To activate, they must roll at least the Check value for the spell they want to Cast.
If a Group has the Self-Destruct trait, they may activate on a 5+ to Shoot everything within 6”, hitting on a 3+. At the end of an activation in which they Self-Destruct, the Group is Routed.
If a Group has the Summoner trait, they may activate on a 6+ to Summon an undeployed Group within 12” and no closer than 6” to an enemy. A Summoned Group may attempt to activate on the turn they are Summoned.
Testing Resolve #
Test Resolve for a specific Group immediately when they:
- Lose any amount of FS.
- Attempt to Rally.
- Become the last Group of their Company.
Test Resolve once for every remaining Group immediately when:
- The Captain’s Group is Routed.
- The Company has lost Groups worth half or more of the total points fielded by their Company.
To test Resolve:
- Roll 2d6.
- Modify the roll:
- -1 for each FS lost (if testing due to lost FS).
- -1 if the Group’s Company has less than half of their total points still in play.
- +1 if the Captain’s Group is within 12”.
- If the final result is equal to or higher than the Group’s Resolve, they succeed.
If successful and Rallying, the Group is no longer Shaken.
If failed but the final result is greater than 0, the Group Retreats and becomes Shaken (if already Shaken, they lose 1 FS instead). If the final result is 0 or less, the Group Routs.
Shaken Groups #
While a Group is Shaken, they:
- Must test Resolve to Rally at the beginning of the next friendly turn, and may not activate for any other reason.
- Only hit on a 6 when Attacking or defending against an Attack.
- Lose 1 FS and Retreat when they fail a Resolve test.
While the Captain’s Group is Shaken, none of their special rules affect play.
End of Game #
When the chosen scenario’s closing conditions are met, total VP according to the scenario and location guidelines.